MAYA’S PAMPERING PURSES
There are women/mothers who are trying to stay afloat.
In this season many women find themselves in shelters or in temporary housing.
These are our sisters and they need encouragement from sisters who are more comfortable in their lives. Sisters, we have to encourage, with love, our sisters; so we begin…
MAYA’S PAMPERING PURSES
In her book, Wouldn’t Take Nothing for My Journey Dr. Angelou said, “Each person deserves a day away in which no problems are confronted, no solutions searched for.” Inspired by the Spirit of Dr. Angelou, Sister Sandra JoAnne Taylor of Raleigh NC created an organization called, “Maya’s Pampering Purses” (MPP).It is her intent that through this organization a movement would evolve giving a voice to the voiceless and also liberating the soul of the giver….One Purse At A Time!
This is how it works:
- Take one of your older purses (still in good shape and one you may still carry from time to time)
TRY TO TAKE FROM YOUR COLLECTION BECAUSE WE WANT TO MAKE THIS A PERSONAL JOURNEY. WE WILL BE EXTENDING OUR SISTERHOOD THROUGH AN EXCHANGE OF A PREVIOUSLY OWNED PURSE. (IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PREVIOUSLY OWNED PURSE WE WILL ALLOW FOR SOME EXCEPTIONS)
- Hang it on your closet door or somewhere exposed in your bedroom so that it is ever present in your spirit.
- Throughout the summer fill it with simple (yet very significant) items…toiletries from hotel visits, items from dollar stores, personal hygiene items, gift certificates, perfumes, coupons, small hand mirrors, personal protection items, homemade items etc…Items you feel necessary for a woman to carry.
- At the end of Augustwe will meet to fellowship and “Let the purses meet” not forcomparison ONLY but also for affirmation of our intention…hopefully we will need to grab an “extra purse” because we may have an overflow of items that can be shared to help another woman in need.
(I’m putting an advance praise right here!)
- On the Wednesday after Labor Day (September 4th) we will deliver the purses to the respective Shelters, group homes or temporary housing locations we have designated.
This is a national movement with Groups and Chapters already launched in NC, VA, MI, GA and Fl. We want to launch the movement here in DC. Once we complete this season we want to continue to spread the Light throughout the year and get ready for our next season of Maya’s Pampering Purses. Sister Sandra Taylor’s intent: “I really want this to be a movement motivated by need, yet executed with love. I see us “Purses” meeting throughout the summer fellowshipping, inviting new members (never too late to start) and spending time crafting, crocheting or purchasing items for our purses.”
We hope you receive enough purses to distribute to at least three women’s’ shelters eventually growing to give to more and more sisters.
The National Chapter of Maya’s Pampering Purses has embraced the scripture that says….
“In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”
Once you decide to become a Pampering Purse, you can remain an individual or invite others to join you and become a Group. Once your Group numbers have surpassed 50 members you can become registered as a Chapter for your area. Our desire is for the larger regions to have multiple Chapters because the need is so much greater and there are many worthy agencies that can benefit from MPP. We want to register all individuals, groups and chapters from the National MPP to make sure we are all on mission.
All that is required:
1. Name of Individual/Group (if any i.e. RSOR MPP)
2. Group Leader contact info
3. Membership list and contact information for each
4. Name of local agency and contact info
Once groups are formed they can designate themselves as open or closed. This would allow us to form a referral list for all future MPP’s for different areas. Some MPP’s may only wish to attend a Purse Blessing with a Group or Chapter and we wish to make that an available option.
Some Groups or Chapters may decide to meet to fill the purses during the fellowship and form relationships, others may not. That is left up to the Individuals, Groups and Chapters. Several Groups may unite throughout the process and become Chapters. There is so much flexibility as long as the common mission is upheld. Hopefully we can expand our reach so seamlessly across this country that by Wed September 4, 2014, all communities, cities and states will be delivering purses to multiple agencies. It is then, collectively, that we will be honoring the Spirit of Dr. Maya Angelou and giving a voice to the voiceless “One Purse at a Time!”
To join our Chapter of “Maya’s Pampering Purses” contact:
Paula Robinson, Woodbridge, VA
Reverend Wanda Outlaw, Washington, DC
Join the Facebook Group Page “Maya’s Pampering Purses” and share your experiences